- 1 Package Kontos® Fillo Dough #5
- 2 Cups Walnuts & Pecans - Chopped
- 1/2 Tsp. Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 2 Tsps. Sugar - (Organic preferred)
- 1/2 Can (15 oz.) Pumpkin Puree
- 1 Cup Clarified Butter
- 3/4 Cup Sugar - (Organic preferred)
- 3/4 Cup Honey
- 1/2 Cup Water
- --------- Courtesy of Chef Krystina of Kouzounas Kitchen --------- 1. Remove Fillo Dough from refrigerator; bring to room temperature. 2. Preheat oven to 375°F. 3. Line a large baking sheet with foil; toast the walnuts and pecans until golden in color. Remove from heat, and let cool. Once nuts have cooled down, place in Cuisinart and chop until they come to a fine mix. 4. In a bowl, mix the pumpkin spice, 2 teaspoons of sugar and nut mixture. 5. Coat a large 9"x 13" baking dish with butter. 6. Prepare Fillo Dough sheets. Unroll sheets and use a slightly damp cloth to cover the rest so they don't dry out. Place one Fillo sheet over the bottom of the baking dish. Lightly brush with butter, and repeat process with 5 more sheets. 7. Spread about 1/3 cup of the pumpkin puree over the Fillo sheets. Spread the nut mixture over the pumpkin puree and repeat process with Fillo dough. (You should have 2 layers each of pumpkin and nut mixture.) 8. After you place that last Fillo sheet over the top, brush with butter. Cut the layers into diamond shapes. 9. Bake for about 1 hour, making sure the baklava is golden brown on the top. Syrup: 1. In a medium pot over medium heat, cook the water, sugar, and honey. Bring to a boil then slowly lower the temperature to low heat. Cook syrup for about 20 minutes, or until the syrup becomes thick. 2. Once baklava comes out of oven, pour syrup over the top and let sit for about 5 hours. 3. Serve with a sprinkle of cinnamon powder over the baklava.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!