- 4 Tbsp. Butter for simmering apples
- 4 Cups Fuji, Pink Lady or other favorite baking apple
- 2/3 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Tsp. Cinnamon
- 1/4 Tsp. Allspice
- 1 Pinch Ground Cloves
- 1/3 Cup Pecans, chopped (optional)
- 1 Stick Butter melted, for brushing pastry
- 8 Sheets Kontos #4 or #5 Fillo Dough
- 1 Jar Carmel for topping
- Favorite Ice Cream
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 2. Peel apples and slice them about 1/8-inch thick. 3. Gently melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a pan with lid. Add the apples and sauté, covered, for about 10 minutes until the apples soften. 4. Combine the softened apples with brown sugar, cinnamon, allspice, cloves and optional nuts. 5. Using a pastry brush, brush each of the 8 Fillo sheets with the melted butter, placing one on top of the other. 6. When you have all your buttered Fillo neatly stacked, spoon apple mixture along the long edge of the stack, leaving a 2-3 inch border at each end. 7. Fold the Fillo over the ends first, then roll up long-ways like a jellyroll. 8. Place the rolled strudel on a sprayed cookie sheet (with folded part underneath), brush with melted butter 9. With a sharp knife, cut diagonal slits in the Fillo. 10. Bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes, or until golden brown 11. Before serving, drizzle – zig-zag fashion – the warmed caramel topping over the top. Serve warm with a scoop of French vanilla ice cream.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!