Decadent Chocolate Hazelnut Crêpe Cake
A crepe cake made of layered Crêpes covered with a chocolate hazelnut spread. Build more layers for a dramatic and delicious effect! Save time by using Kontos pre-made French-Style Crêpes.
- Large Saute pan or cookie sheet
- Kitchen towel
- Food processor
- Double boiler
- Parchment paper
- Offset spatula
- Cake stand or platter
- 2 cups toasted/blanched Hazelnuts with skins removed
- 2 oz. unsweetened Chocolate, chopped
- 2 oz. semisweet Chocolate, chopped
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 6 tbsp unsalted Butter, melted
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 packages Kontos French-Style Crêpes (either 11-inch or 9-inch crêpes are fine)
- Place Hazelnuts in a large sauté pan over medium heat, stir until toasted, or, place on a cookie sheet then place in hot oven for about 20-minutes. Remove and place in between a kitchen towel, allowing the steam to loosen the skins. Place an oven mitt over the towel and rub robustly to break off the skins. Separate the Hazelnuts from the skins. [Alternatively, you may purchase blanched Hazelnuts.]
- Place the Hazelnuts (without the skins) in your food processor and run until the hazelnuts have become a smooth buttery paste.
- Add hot water to the bottom portion of your double-boiler, then place in the top portion of the boiler the two Chocolates, Sugar, Milk, and Butter, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat; cook stirring often, until the Sugar dissolves, Chocolate melts, and the mixture is smooth and shiny.
- Then, add the Hazelnut paste and continue to stir until smooth again.
- Remove from heat and stir in the Vanilla.
- Let icing sit until thick enough to spread, about 30-minutes.
CAKE ASSEMBLY INSTRUCTIONS:
- Extra icing may be stored in refrigerator, covered for 7-10 days.
- Take out 11-Inch Kontos French-Style Crêpe–Traditional Flavor
- Place a sheet of parchment paper on your work surface. Carefully remove a Crêpe from packaging and place on the parchment paper. Dip your offset spatula into the Hazelnut-Chocolate mixture (to pick-up about 1/16 of a cup of icing) and slowly spread over the Crêpe, allowing about a quarter-inch edge without icing.
- Place the coated Crêpe on your cake stand or platter.Repeat these steps, until you have made as many layers as you wish. In the illustration above, we have taken pieces of Baklava and crumbled it, and garnished the top. We recommend refrigerating the cake for about two (2) hours, prior to slicing the cake.
TOPPING THE CREPE CAKE:
In the illustration above, we have taken pieces of Baklava and crumbled it, and garnished the top.You may use: a few whole or crushed hazelnuts around the outer top layer, or even thinly sliced strawberries.
SLICING THE CREPE CAKE:
- We recommend refrigerating the cake for about two (2) hours, prior to slicing the cake.Use a straight-edge slicer to cut into the cake starting at the center and slicing outward
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time||Passive Time|