Blueberry & Feta Fillo Packets
These sweet and savory Fillo packets are the perfect dessert or anytime snack.
- Sheet pan
- Butter, melted
- Kontos Fillo #7 Dough, thawed
- Kontos Feta Cheese, cut into ½-¾-inch pieces, about 4x6-inches
- Blueberry Preserves
- 1 pint Fresh Blueberries
- Lemon zest from one lemon, for garnish
- ¼ cup Confectioner’s Sugar (for garnish)
- Pre-heat oven to 360° F
After opening the thawed Fillo dough and covering it with a dry-damp towel:
- Remove one sheet of Fillo dough to your work surface, so the long side of the Fillo is facing you, lengthwise.
- Lightly butter the right half of the Fillo.
- Fold the un-buttered side over the buttered side and lightly butter the top.
- Remove Feta cheese from package. If it's packed in brine, be sure to blot with a paper towel to remove excess moisture.
- Nearest you, place a piece of Feta cheese, centered left to right, about 2 inches from the bottom.
- Place 2 teaspoons of blueberry preserves atop the Feta.
- Add 4-5 fresh blueberries atop the preserves.
- Fold the left and right sides of the Fillo, over the Blueberry/Feta mound, and butter lightly.
- Fold up the bottom of the Fillo packet, and continue to roll/fold until the end.
- Place on a buttered sheet pan, and use the tip of a sharp knife to cut through the top layer from edge to edge. Butter the exposed top.
- Repeat until you have all the packets you desire.
- Place in a pre-heated oven and bake for 12 minutes.
- Remove from oven, dust with Confectioner's Sugar and some lemon zest and serve.
- You can slice the Feta Cheese in short logs, and make cigar-sized appetizers.
- Add the lemon zest atop of the blueberries before baking.
Handling and Working with Fillo Dough: Fillo (also called Phyllo) Dough are usually found in the supermarket or specialty food stores, in the frozen food section. Before using, there are several steps that one must follow:
- The night before using, move the unopened package from the freezer to refrigerator.
- The next day, remove from refrigerator (unopened) to your counter.
- Do not open package for about two hours.
- Open the package and unfold.
- Work with one sheet at time.
- Keep the balance of the dough, covered with a dry-damp towel.
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time||Passive Time|