Paterson, New Jersey – June 12, 2018 – Dad might tell you he wants to cut back on sweets for this coming Father’s Day celebration, but not when he hears about this. What’s more, Kontos Foods, Inc., a U.S.-based manufacturer and distributor of traditional artisan breads and Mediterranean specialty foods, has created a sinfully Decadent, Hazelnut-Chocolate Crêpe Cake that he’ll be telling everyone at work about the next day. Because it uses Kontos French-Style Crêpes (either 11-inch or 9-inch crêpes are fine), it comes together in half the time. And while the directions below call for a homemade Chocolate-Hazelnut icing, feel free to purchase an equivalent icing or chocolate-hazelnut spread at your favorite food store.
“This cake is a show-stopper,” said Chef Demetrios Haralambatos, Corporate Executive Chef, Kontos Foods. “Anytime we present it a trade show it’s an instant hit. Not only does it have a dramatic appeal, it’s also tastes delicious.”
So indulge Dad this Father’s Day, and just remember—be sure to save the last piece for him!
DECADENT HAZELNUT-CHOCOLATE CRÊPE CAKE
Large sauté pan or a cookie sheet
Cake stand or platter
INGREDIENTS FOR ICING:
2 cups toasted/blanched Hazelnuts, with skins removed
2 oz. unsweetened Chocolate, chopped
2 oz. semisweet Chocolate, chopped
2 cups Sugar
1½ cup Evaporated milk
6 tbsp. unsalted Butter, melted
2 tsp. Vanilla extract
INSTRUCTIONS FOR ICING:
- Place Hazelnuts in a large sauté pan over medium heat, stir until toasted, or, place on a cookie sheet then place in hot oven for about 20-minutes. Remove and place in between a kitchen towel, allowing the steam to loosen the skins. Place an oven mitt over the towel and rub robustly to break off the skins. Separate the Hazelnuts from the skins. [Alternatively, you may purchase blanched Hazelnuts.]
- Place the Hazelnuts (without the skins) in your food processor and run until the Hazelnuts have become a smooth buttery paste.
- Add hot water to the bottom portion of your double-boiler, then place in the top portion of the boiler the two Chocolates, Sugar, Milk, and Butter, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat; cook stirring often, until the Sugar dissolves, Chocolate melts, and the mixture is smooth and shiny.
- Then, add the Hazelnut paste and continue to stir until smooth again.
- Remove from heat and stir in the Vanilla.
- Let icing sit until thick enough to spread, about 30-minutes. 11-Inch Kontos French-Style Crêpe–Traditional Flavor
- CAKE ASSEMBLY INSTRUCTIONS:
- Hazelnut-Chocolate Icing
- INGREDIENTS TO MAKE THE CAKE:
- Extra icing may be stored in refrigerator, covered for 7-10 days.
- Place a sheet of parchment paper on your work surface.
- Carefully remove a Crêpe from packaging and place on the parchment paper.
- Dip your offset spatula into the Hazelnut-Chocolate mixture (to pick-up about 1/16 of a cup of icing) and slowly spread over the Crêpe, allowing about a quarter-inch edge without icing.
- Place the coated Crêpe on your cake stand or platter.
- Repeat these steps, until you have made as many layers as you wish. In the illustration above, we have taken pieces of Baklava and crumbled it, and garnished the top. We recommend refrigerating the cake for about two (2) hours, prior to slicing the cake.
TOPPING THE CRÊPE CAKE:
In the illustration above, we have taken pieces of Baklava and crumbled it, and garnished the top.
You may use: a few whole or crushed hazelnuts around the outer top layer, or even thinly sliced strawberries.
SLICING THE CRÊPE CAKE:
We recommend refrigerating the cake for about two (2) hours, prior to slicing the cake.
Use a straight-edge slicer to cut into the cake starting at the center and slicing outward
About Kontos Foods
Founded in 1987, Kontos Foods, Inc. is a Paterson, New Jersey-based provider of artisan breads and traditional Mediterranean foods for restaurants, hotels, food service, retail specialty stores and supermarkets worldwide. The family-owned company specializes in hand-stretched flatbreads, including the Kontos Pocket-Less Pita®, Fillo dough, pastries, crêpe, olives, Gyro meats, and Greek yogurts, as well as over 60 varieties of multi-ethnic flatbreads. Kontos Foods has over 275 employees and was founded by Evripides (Evris) Kontos and his son Steve, who together bring over 100 years’ experience in the premium food industry. The company’s bread and Fillo products are made in the USA. Visit https://kontos.com or call (973) 278-2800.
(855) 677-5263, ext. 109
Kontos Foods Inc.
(973) 278-2800, ext. 326