Paterson, N.J. – April 27, 2014 – Mother’s Day is recognized each year by many families as Mom’s day off. To make Mother’s Day extra special, and to keep Mom out of the kitchen all day, try planning delicious meals for her at breakfast, lunch and/or dinner. The trick is to keep the meals tasty and fun, but also simple enough that even Dad can pull them off. With help from the kids of course!
Here are some Mom-pleasing breakfast, lunch and dinner recipes, courtesy of Kontos Foods:
Breakfast: Omelet Pita
Kontos Flatbread or Pita Bread
1 oz. diced ham
1 oz. diced peppers (red, yellow and/or green)
1/ oz. diced onions
1 oz. grated cheese (American, Jack or Cheddar)
- Preheat Kontos Flatbread or Pita Bread in frying pan (for about 30 seconds, each side, on high heat).
- Sauté ham, peppers and onion in frying pan; with one teaspoon margarine, butter or cooking oil
- Wisk eggs with 1 tablespoon water
- Make omelet in frying pan; with one teaspoon margarine, butter or cooking oil
- Place eggs on bread, sprinkle cheese on top, and fold
- Garnish with slice of melon, pineapple, or orange
Lunch: Quick & Easy Pizza
Kontos Pizza Parlor Crust
3 tablespoons of red pasta sauce or pizza sauce (sprinkle with dried oregano, to personalize)
2-3 oz. shredded mozzarella or cheddar cheese
Toppings: pepperoni, sliced mushrooms, sliced peppers, fresh basil, artichokes, olives, crumbled sausage, etc.
- Spread sauce evenly over Kontos Pizza Parlor Crust
- Sprinkle cheese over the sauce
- Add your favorite toppings
- Bake in pre-heated oven at 350⁰F for app. 15 minutes, or until cheese melts
Dinner: Grilled Steak Sandwich
Kontos Mini Oval Flatbread
5-6 oz. skirt steak or London broil
1 Portobello mushroom
Pesto sauce (any variety)
Tomato, onion and lettuce (for topping)
- Preheat 2 slices Kontos Mini-Oval Flatbread (use Kontos Flatbread or Pita Bread if desired) on hot barbeque grill (15-20 seconds on each side)
- Grill steak to taste
- Spread pesto sauce evenly over Kontos bread
- Build sandwich; add slices mushroom, onion, tomato and lettuce, to taste
Dessert: Crispy Cinnamon Sticks with Ice Cream
Kontos Flatbread or Pita Bread
3 Teaspoons granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 oz. melted butter or cooking oil
1 scoop ice cream, sorbet or sherbet (Mom’s favorite flavor recommended!)
Optional – serve with fresh strawberries, blueberries, etc.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon in small bowl
- Brush top of Kontos Flatbread or Pita Bread with melted butter or oil
- Place bread on a cookie sheet
- Sprinkle sugar/cinnamon mixture (make and add more as desired)
- Bake or Toast in oven (350⁰F recommended) until crisp
- Cut into wedges or 1-inch wide strips
- Serve with ice cream, sorbet or sherbet
To learn more about Kontos Foods, visit www.kontos.com. You can also find Kontos Foods on Twitter@KontosFoods or on Facebook at www.facebook/KontosFoods. Photos are available upon request.
About Kontos Foods
Founded in 1987, Kontos Foods, Inc. is a Paterson, NJ-based provider of traditional Mediterranean foods for restaurants, hotels, food service, retail specialty stores and supermarkets worldwide. The family-owned company specializes in hand-stretched flatbreads, including the Kontos Pocket-Less Pita®, Fillo dough, pastries, olives, gyro meats, and Greek yogurts, as well as nearly 50 varieties of multi-ethnic flatbreads. Kontos, which has over 225 employees and was founded by Evripides (Evris) Kontos together with his son Steven, together bring over 100 years’ experience in the premium food industry. To learn more, visit www.kontos.com, or call (973) 278-2800.
Fastlane on Behalf of Kontos
Kontos Foods Inc.
(973) 278-2800, ext. 326