Don’t eat turkey? No worries. This recipe – using festive, colorful vegetables, goat cheese and Kontos Rustics Collection™ flatbread – is perfect for Thanksgiving guests who prefer not to eat meat.
Paterson, N.J. – Nov 18, 2015 – During the holidays, particularly one where a meat is the main course, it can be challenging for some home cooks to also prepare a non-meat option for vegetarian guests.
Simply giving your guests all the side dishes won’t do – you’ll want the vegetarians in your family to feel just as special as all the turkey eaters around the table.
The challenge at Thanksgiving, and other holidays, of course is oven space. Demetrios Haralambatos, executive chef of flatbread provider Kontos Foods, suggests firing up your outside grill to produce not only a vegetarian meal for your special guests, but also a healthy, colorful side dish that everyone at the table will love.
“This recipe – Grilled Vegetables on Tandoori Naan bread – is made using festive green, purple and red vegetables, goat cheese, health extra virgin olive oil and Kontos Rustics Collection™ flatbread,” said Steve Kontos, Vice President of Kontos Foods. “It’s delicious, healthful and adds beautiful color to your holiday table. If you have just one vegetarian guest, retain the extra vegetables as an accompaniment to your meat dish.”
Ingredients (serves 4):
• 1 medium eggplant sliced into ¼” slices
• 1 medium zucchini sliced into ¼” slices
• ½ cup roasted red sweet peppers (packaged) sliced into ½” strips
• ½ cup Goat Cheese
• 4 slices Kontos’ Rustics Collection Tandoori Naan (Garlic)
• 2 cups Arugula
• 4 each sundried tomatoes
• Extra Virgin Olive Oil
• 8 each, Kalamata olives, pitted and sliced
1. Coat vegetables with the olive oil.
2. Grill eggplant and zucchini over an open fire until grill marks appear and vegetables are soft.
3. Lightly brush Kontos Rustics Collection Tandoori Naan with olive oil and place on hot grill until grill marks lightly appear. Turn bread over and repeat procedure. Place on plate.
4. Spread softened goat cheese on Kontos Rustics Collection Tandoori Naan.
5. Top with grilled slices of eggplant, zucchini and peppers.
6. Place arugula, sundried tomatoes and olives on top. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Drizzle with olive oil.
7. Serve with assorted olives.
Kontos Rustics Collection Tandoori Naan is oblong-shaped bread; available in retail outlets, restaurants and food service establishments. The Naan come two to a pack in a re-sealable bag with a ziploc-style closure. Kontos sells its products to retailers and foodservice establishments across North America and around the world. Find Kontos Foods on Twitter @KontosFoods, on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/Kontosfoods and on Pinterest at https://www.pinterest.com/kontosfoods/.
About Kontos Foods
Founded in 1987, Kontos Foods, Inc. is a Paterson, New Jersey-based provider of traditional Mediterranean foods for restaurants, hotels, food service, retail specialty stores and supermarkets worldwide. The family-owned company specializes in hand-stretched flatbreads, including the Kontos Pocket-Less Pita®, Fillo dough, pastries, olives, gyro meats, and Greek yogurts, as well as nearly 50 varieties of multi-ethnic flatbreads. Kontos, which has over 225 employees and was founded by Evripides (Evris) Kontos with his son Steven, together bring over 100 years’ experience in the premium food industry. The company’s bread and Fillo products are made in the USA. Visit www.kontos.com or call (973) 278-2800.
Kontos Foods Inc.
(973) 278-2800, ext. 326